Monday, November 01, 2010

I (we) voted! (and why today is a good day

caution: This has potential to be long.  hold tight and get a snack!

I just completed my ballot Smile  34 of 26 counties in Washington have paper vote by mail ballots.   We’ve had ours for quite some time but just finished them.  For the most party we voted the same but there were 2 very controversial initiatives that we might have disagreed on.  For any of Evan’s college friends they may have a slight disapproval of his potential vote for the 2 outstanding items.  Because I’m in a good mood I’ll briefly discuss the initiatives that have us opposing each other.  1100 and 1105 deal with privatization of liquor stores.  I voted against it: Evan voted for it.  To his credit I had a hard time for this one.  Costco backed this and they proposed a way too lenient (in my opinion) position.  I would have been for the initiative if it were to support the program in a different way.  They were proposing to sell the licenses for $1000 per store and I think it should have been way WAY higher.  Not sure Evan was convinced.

The second was for a state income tax.  I voted for it (I Know, I know, horrible).  It’s at a $200K person/$400K household proposal BUT it will lower income taxes.  I won’t be impacted by the income tax, but will be by the property tax.  Evan’s position, and that of many people we know, is that this will force out businesses who are here because of the no income taxes.  Also the tax is pretty high tapping out at 9%.  I was really torn.  We canceled each other out so I guess it doesn’t matter! 

Today was a good day too:  And I realized it when I came home and Evan asked if I wanted to go out to eat.  YES!  I did want to go out to eat.  I did want to not cook and have a nice adult relaxing evening.  Walter colored, and played with Legos

Pictures from Halloween are up in the October album. But here is a sneak peak!

halloween 044

Walter and Ben at MSFT Halloween partyhalloween 037

Walter outside of Microsoft

halloween 048

Our orange pumpkins

DSC_1554

Walter and Ms Kat at the School party

DSC_1620

Little and Big Mario at the Collins’ Halloween Party

DSC_1640

The Nintendo Family: Big Mario, Little Mario and Mushroom

DSC_1652

DSC_1675

DSC_1698

Walter says good night to Abbey Dog!

1 comment:

Jeane said...

Great pictures. Looks like fun Halloween parties. The oranges turned out great-
We have a pumpkin on the front steps that appears to have a squirrel snacking on it! The Mario theme was a good choice-cute mustaches.