I actually have a lot of things to write about today but let’s see how much I get written because I’m multi tasking between this and playing “worker” with Walter and his tool box. Today is a very gross day and we are all thrilled to stay inside and do nothing. I wish it would not rain for 1 day so I could sweep the deck and mow the lawn, but if I’m forced to stay inside and cuddle all day, that’s fine by me!
Can I start by saying how much fun this age is? He picks up so much. And he is so curious. For instance:
Yesterday we were at Target (more on that later) and he was using my phone to “call” people. He asked where daddy was and I said home. He said “lets go get ‘em”. Then he said I’ll call daddy. He really did! He must have hit the redial button because I heard him talking to the phone and he had a huge smile on his face. And then on Friday we turned on the TV to watch a movie and he looks at Evan and says “no people daddy.” He wants cartoons instead of “people”.
On Friday my office took the day to volunteer for our local Habitat for Humanity. At first I wasn’t sure this would be much of a chance for us to give back since I’m not all that handy but it was actually a pretty great day! We got a lot done and learned a lot! The great thing is they also teach you how to do things so when we are to the point we want to do things, you can come down and watch the professionals and they’ll let you “practice” on the Habitat home. We got the scheduled for when they are going to do windows in the spring which we’ll definitely come down for. I worked on 1 bedroom: I did the hardwood floors and the trim of the windows, doors and floor boards. I learned how to use not 1 but 3 types of saws and a nail gun. Fun times. Friday night we had an easy movie night after our weekly trip to Costco. Walter loves Costco, but he always wants a cookie when we go there! We got him to eat Pizza Friday night. We cut it into pieces and he ate it with a fork. Got some meat in him!
I’m normally not thrilled when the world starts celebrating Christmas the day after Halloween. BUt this year I’m just as bad. I’m so excited for Christmas. We read books every night about the nativity and about Santa and about Christmas. One reason is we are going to see Santa in 2 weeks and I want him to not be scared, and also I see all these great toys that I know he’ll love but I”m not sure he’ll “get” the idea of a tree and gifts and unwrapping I just want to give it all to him now! We are doing our family Christmas on the 18th so that means we get a shorting shopping season.
We are petitioning anyone and everyone in our family and circle of friends that we need and want no Christmas gifts. We aren’t making lists this year of what we want. Instead we are making lists of things that we got for ourselves this year that we can consider as gifts to ourselves. We are going to do 1 gift each for Christmas on the 18th (1 for Evan from me and 1 from Walter, 1 for Walter from me and 1 from Evan) and we will do stockings on Christmas morning. I really am just excited for making cookies for the neighbors, taking Walter to the bank to take out money for his gifts for his cousins and family, and talking about why it’s such a great time of year.
Yesterday we finalized Walter’s big boy room. We moved his things over to his room and got new sheets and bedding (looking at Today’s adds I should have gone to Kohls’, Oh well). Walter went with me yesterday shopping for 3 hours and did GREAT! We went to Nordstroms so I could get my Christmas gift for under the tree from him (Smart Wool running top) and looked at shoes, and clothes and he picked out an entirely new wardrobe for his cousin Cammie. All of it pink, tutus, and fluffy sweaters. And a few pair of shoes too. We then went to Oshkosh to look at jammies, snow boots and snow pants. Final trip was to target which was the worst trip, and he did great. He loved talking on the phone, helping put things in the cart, counting how many things we have in the cart, and picking out his sheets and blanket. (he got a new pillow too) When we got home he took a nap in the now only guest room we have, and we went to work on his room. I did some homework for my photography class and called it a night. I still have this stupid cold/flu thing and I desperately want it gone before Thursday so I can go to the Wahlerts for Turkey and not expose Ben to my germs. Walter is better now and Evan got it much worse than normal. Luckily being the end of the road I seem to have picked up the worst of it.
So here are the pictures of Walter’s new room. We are going to finish being “noisey” and then start some turkey day crafts before nap. After nap we are going to Walters favorite store, REI so Evan can try on ski pants and jackets so we can order his this week during the sales. Dinner out and some new running shoes and the day will be complete. Side note on the running shoes: I lost 1 shoe. How does that happen:? You have a gym bag that doesn’t fit all of your stuff and on a particularly rainy run, you put your shoes in last. Since the bag won’t shut when it’s full, you leave it open and it falls out as you walk to your car (sob) I’ve been wearing my marathon shoes which is a huge mistake because my knees and feet are sore again so I’m getting new ones today. And burning the old ones for good.
OK Last thing: We are “pausing” from potty training for the next 3 days. Day care kept telling me how much they support it and how much they help but I think the have too many kids doing it now (partial my fault) and they just can’t dedicate what they need to for it. Example is Friday when I picked him up he was in a diaper. Erin, who is always more honest with me than she should be, tells me that he had to wear a diaper because the director was having a meeting in the room next to the little toilets and didn’t want to be bothered by kids crying. She was frustrated I could tell because finally he was able to tell them when he had to go, but she couldn’t take him. So we are going back to diapers/pull ups for the next 3 days and then when he’s home with use for 4 days in a row, we’ll see if we can get him to be ready when he goes back to school next week. Fingers crossed!
2 comments:
His room looks so grown-up!! I love it! Hope you get to feeling better soon. We'll miss you this week!
Sounds like a very productive weekend! Hope you feel better these next couple days! The room looks great.
Post a Comment