Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mt Shuskan/ Douglas Fir Campground

Holy Cow, we were HERE this weekend. It was, I feel confident saying, the most beautiful views I've ever seen. Prior to this the view from the beach in Punta Cana won the prize. It was such a rewarding trip to get to the top of the peak, and to spend an hour gazing out at the most mind blowing views I've ever seen.
We had such a great trip, so well worth it. And a great thing too because it was probably my last hiking trip of the season, and most definately my last hiking trip with a 2000 foot incline over 2.5 miles! The trails we really hoped to take, a short 1 mile up to a look out point, was still closed for the season with snow so since we didn't have snow shoes we choose this one instead. None of us were really expecting the trial to be as challenging as it was but soo sooooo worth it! Half way through I almost didn't get to continue because my lack of balance, growing belly, and the slippery rocks don't make for a good combination but shimmying my behind over some fallen tress and forgetting about dry feet made it all possible. Evan made the mistate a few times of forgetting how well I take it when people tell me I can't do things. He even wanted me to wait about 500 yards from the "top" because the terain got to be too much but after he got up there and saw the view, felt that it was probably OK for me to go slow and cautiously the remaining trail. And Oh My Gosh as it worth it! More pics are here! I apologize for the amount of them but it was just such a great experience. We had Troy with us and it was a bit of a challenge at fist, the 2 of them were quite a handful on the trip up but after they got a great hike in they were much more manageable. We got back earlier today than originaly planned out of lack of better trails to hit today with the snow cover, but I was glad to get the time to get things cleaned up. The car, the yard, the house, unpack and laundry. I'm glad it's done!! The heat wave is heading here this week....we are expecting 3 days of record breaking heat. Good thing we get out by the end of the week to head to St. Louis where I'm sure it won't be any cooler! And I'm off to relax
Posted by Picasa

No comments: