Tuesday, July 24, 2007

And now, Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

Tuesday, 8:29 pm. I just got home from a walk/run on a fablous summer evening. Althought it's only Tuesday it's been a long week already. I've been doing on site meetings at a client this week, 2 of 4 days into it. I go out there, set up in a conference room and meet with individual employees in 30 minute "coaching" sessions all day long. Occasionaly I'll get stood up, occasionaly I'll be behind by 30-45 minutes. some are aweful, some are entertaining, some are mind blowing for a variety of reasons. Like the person yesterday who told me, I'm OK with international funds, I just wish it were an all European option because I don't like the Chinese. How random! From the same individual: I don't believe in actively managed funds, no one can ever beat the S&P so why even try. How do I even respond to that? Oh well. Today I met with a guy who wanted me to tell him everything he needed to know to manage his own investements on his own for ever, in 30 minutes. I tried and we had a great conversation but I don't think he left any smarter. And I digress... The 3 of us have been trying to get 40 minutes a day of exercise where we actauly get our heart rate elevated at least 5 times a week. It's actualy been nice to spend that time together and Casey has enjoyed it! Evan has be VERY slow at work this week. "They" are virtualy done, just testing now. So most of the developers have nothing to do but research for version 2. So he's been getting home extremely early this week. Evan came home and took the dog on a walk with out me because, I believe, he knew that I'd be bringing his new lap top home with me today and he'd be busy most of the night on the couch with his new toy. So, I decided to go on a run by myself. It's a great day out and perfect conditions for a walk. I was hoping that 45 minute 'work out' would lift mys spririts, it normaly does, but not the case tonight. I'm not feeling very positive as of late and I can't seem to get out of it. As Steve at work said today, I'm foul. I stopped in the office after work to get the aforementioned lap top. I stayed for a bit to catch up on some phone calls and get some information printed for tomorrow's meetings. I should have just come home. On my way home though I got to talk to Liz. I love how a 30 minute conversation with her can make me laugh and smile so much. I just got really sad and home sick when we got off. So many exciting things are going on at home right now and we are missing it! It's Bix weekend. The first one EVER that we will miss. How sad. I knew it would happen and, like with the 4th of July, we are trying to move past most of that "we would be doing this if we were at home right now" but Bix is different. It defines your QC herritage. The race, the Boline's party, all the people being in town. It's something I will alwasy miss! Maybe someday we'll be back for it. I'm feeling an incredible amount of anxiety lately too. I have about 11 weeks left until this baby makes his debut. That's a long time, yes. But it's 3/4 of the way to the end. I have so much to do and I'm so lost on a lot of it. I have Anita here but we aren't as close as other 'mommies' in my life and I don't feel that comfortable asking her for help. I've read 100 articles, 10 books and keep doing research and I still don't know what to do. THe more I read the more confused I get. I read just today that all babies really need are a boob and a crib. But What to Expect.... has a 5 page list of things that are needed, of which I have 5. So I have anxiety about all of the things that we have left to get. Then throw on top of that the "which one" problem we are having with things like car seats, strollers, ect... I know there are lots of things that I need to do that I'm not even aware of. Here is the list I have, just on top of my head. In no particular order, over the next 10 weeks I want to have the following things done:
  • Bake and freeze about 3 weeks worth of food so it's easy when the baby comes
  • Wash and de-tag all of the clothes, blankets, bibs, sheets, ect....
  • finalize a list of everything we need
  • shop for everything on the list above
  • clean the entire house top to bottom, inside and out. Brand new baby clean
  • purchase airline tickets for the holidays
  • research and buy video camera
  • Research, buy and have car seat installed
  • read 3 more books on what to do when the baby actualy arrives
  • on top of this get ready to be gone from work for 2 months, which means more hours and more stress at work which means being exhausted when I get home so nothing really gets done.

In the more immediate future, we have a long list of "to-do's" also

  • Mow the law and trip the rasp bushes
  • Finish picking green beans and zuchini
  • go through Evan's closet and determine what fit's what doesn't, what he likes and what he doesn't like
  • buy more clothes for Evan to replace those that are being removed from his closet
  • pack for Hawaii
  • finish 3 major projects for work before we leave for hawaii
  • figure out how to get the car donated to Society for the Blind
  • Get the crib up and the rest of the nursery organized
  • I'd really like to get a trip to Ikea to finish up some last minute needs but we'll see if that happens.
  • Hang the shelves/wall hanging in the nursery

I need to get over myself and be positive and be thank ful for a wonderful supportive husband, and for a great job that I love most days. In addition the following closing story will be the last of my deep thoughts and further proof of all the things I have to be greatful for.

About 2 months ago (yes I'm lazy and a bad wife) I was getting the oil changed in Evan's car and the guy told me we "desperately needed" new brakes, they were 75% worn and it should be done immediately. We knew they were getting bad but life got in the way and I never remembered to call for references when the shops were open. I finally had time to call around for referals and verify references last week. I found a shop, a stones throw from our house, that got pretty good reviews. Since I was the one calling, the one taking it in, the one with the contact to Mr. Kim, my strategy was to be as direct as possible on what I wanted done and to not take any BS. I called the guy and asked for an estimate, and hours. Hours were actualy convenint that we could drop off the car after work and be able to get there in enough time after work to pick it up while they were still open. I told him exactly what I wanted him to do, told him to call me if it was going to be over $500 and that was it. I got a call the next morning at 8:15. Mr Kim wanted to know why I wanted the brakes repaired. He said we didn't need brakes, we needed them cleaned and new pads. $90! When does that ever happen? I gave him a green light for all new brakes and $500, and he comes back with $90!! And I'm a girl! That never ever happens. As Evan said, they gained customers for life and I will tell everyone I know about what great service they gave us. Those are the type of things that we should be focusing on now, and how great it was to see all of our friends and our family in St. Louis last week and how generous everyone was. Not the other stuff that doesn't matter. And on that I'm off to finish Thank You's.

No comments: