Where did I leave off?
The Bright New Shiny Hospital
Since we got pregnant I pretty much knew i wanted to deliver at the "new" Hospital. It is the same medical system of where I delivered last time but it had a few things going for it: It allowed mid wife delivery (Swedish in Seattle did not), and it was closer to our house. There is another hospital system in Bellevue, Overlake, which was an option and does allow MW births but I was insistent on the bright new shiny hospital. It was pretty, it was fancy, and it was much less busy than the other "baby factory" hospitals. I felt like we were on a conveyor belt last time with specific times allowed in each room (delivery and postpartum) and there wasn't a lot of room for any deviation. The new hospital was more laid back, and since there were only a handful of deliveries since they started delivering in November, I was excited to be of the first.
There were positives to this brand new shiny hospital, but there were also things I hadn't considered. Like: The nurses. They seemed to be a mish-mash of traveling nurses and nurses that wanted out of the fast pace and were therefore maybe a bit less "on". They all knew how to care for patients but almost none of them knew how to do the other things in the hospital (charting, ordering meds, where to find clean socks). there were lots of questions being asked. I think I told them who our pediatrician was 12 times, even though I also put that info on our admittance chart. They would tell me, yeah, but we aren't sure how to get that information right now. There was one nurse who covered a break who was telling us all about these alternative pain management strategies. I asked my charge nurse about it later and she looked at me like I had 2 heads then said "she's from some back woods in Idaho, and they do things differently there, they might even practice on animals too". Ummm, OK?
The charge nurse at L&D was also my day nurse in postpartum. I had to ask for ice 5 times, she was just kinda spacy. They only had 5 couples/babies/patients so it wasn't like they were busy.
I wan't all the nurses, it was the technology in general: no one knew how to work things, and it did not instill a lot of confidence in us. We kept hearing people say, sorry this technology is so new, everyone is still learning. We heard that a few of the OB offices were actually trying to get their patients to deliver at Overlake because they were uncomfortable with the new systems, so I'm not sure how things will move forward, because you need patients to learn and grown but without patients they won't get better. Luckily I had a pretty uncomplicated and low key birth and recovery. I also think I'm pretty low maintenance so it wasn't the end of the world to me but I might have had a better experience elsewhere (of course we have no idea how that would have turned out either :) )
The Name
Wesley did not have a name until over 12 hours after he was born (worse than Walter who was un-named for about 5 hours). We waited until the absolute last minute since we wanted him to have a name before Walter got to the hospital. The real issue was that we could not agree. Evan came up with a list of 5 names about a week ago, on my due date, and i really only liked 1 of them. So I came up with a list of 5, and he liked none of them. We decided to scrap our original lists and each create a second list. We had a list of 3 going to the hospital and during our 6 hours of induction we narrowed it down. His top 3 ranking was opposite my top 3 ranking :/ I had my favorite and he had his. I tried to name him after he was born but Evan wanted to sleep on it, so we waited till the morning, thinking maybe he'd warm up to my idea, and no such luck. I knew I'd warm up to what ever his name was, so we went with Wesley Michael. Our top 3 list was
Wesley
Nolan
Reid
Reid was my favorite. Evan didn't like the "Walter" and "Reid" combo, likened it to naming our children Abe and Lincoln (which at the time I tried to add Lincoln to the list; I got veto'd) Even though it was spelled differently. When we saw Walter we had to make sure he was OK sharing his "letter" with his brother and he thinks it's cool they have the same first letter. We have to find new ways to abbreviate though when talking about them. I would email or text Evan and abbreviate "W" instead of typing out Walter. Now we need to expand on our communication a bit!
Updates are a bit harder with one handed typing. But I'll update with 1 week details later.
Of course now I can't imagine having any other name. Walt
Thursday, February 09, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment