Friday, May 21, 2010

Big Day for Walter

Walter had a big day yesterday: He was in preschool from 9:30 to end of the day! He was a little apprehensive at first but his report card was complete and he appears to have had a great time. They said it was a bit different for him going from being the oldest and having everyone following him around to being the youngest and being a follower but he wrote his W's (the letter of the day), very well. He will be in preschool Tuesdays and Thursdays until July then full time. Holy cow!

When I picked him up he proudly showed me his new cubbie and where he slept and his art. He said, "Mommy I have a secret for you, come here!". He was too much fun.


Last night the Rataj family came over for dinner. Steve and Meredith and their 2 kids, Asher and Helena (Lena) are visiting from St. Louis. Steve and I used to work together. We ordered pizza and just watch the kids play. Asher is 3 1/2 and Lena is 1. It was so much fun to see the boys play, the whispered together, and laughed and held hands. For about 20 minutes Walter followed Lena around trying to hug her but she would run away as fast as she could and giggle, and he thought it was even more fun to chase her. The house was destroyed and the kids were all exhausted and soaking wet from playing in the sink but it was such a great night! When they left Walter asked if they could come back next year! We love having kids this age, they just play together and we just sit and watch. We have a no fuss dinner, on paper plates and just sit around and talk. No worrying about the perfect aps, or having matching glasses, or a clean table cloth. Meredith is one of the few mom's I know who works full time 40+ hours a week, has 2 kids, cleans her own house and only eats out 2 times a month. It was refreshing to have them over and be so laid back, they didn't mind sitting on the floor so we could be in the same room as the kids play.

In unrelated news: we have a contractor coming over Monday to give us some bids on some work Evan wants done in the house. I'm so un educated at this stuff I called the guy and he asked us who we were using as a space designer. A what? Yeah I guess you need to have someone come make sure the designs are structuraly correct and what you want to do can be done. Imagine that! I'm sure if we knew a thing or 2 about remodeling we could do some of that ourselves but we have no experience. So I am having a girl come out this weekend to look at our plans. Evan and I aren't 100% in agreement on what way to do what he wants done so I'm hoping she'll side with me! We have so much weird space in our house, i have an idea in my mind how it will work but never an idea if it will turn out as we imagine. Depending on where the bids for the work come in, we might wait till fall to start. I like having something to look forward to though and to be able to imagine what it will look like when it's done!

1 comment:

Jeane said...

How can Walter be 'old enough' for preschool? What a treat for him. Fun to have W as the letter of the day with it being his name. Glad you were able to get together with old friends-kids do take entertaining to a new level. Can't wait to hear about your ideas for the house!