Coffee.
I had the worst headach all day today. It finally went away at 2:30 when I had a small cup of coffee waiting to present to a prospective client. So, here's the deal (me make a big deal out of nothing? NO!)
I've been diligently working out in the mornings before work for about 6 weeks now. I do love it. I like getting a fresh start to the day, I like having it done before I get home from work and it make my tummy feel better. There are only a few times a week that I curse under my breath as I'm getting up at 5:15 (which has become 5 more and more lately since we're swamped at work).
The 2 things suffering though: I have taken to packing my lunch and bringing coffee from home. It's cheaper and I don't have to leave the office if I get too busy. I can't bring coffee from home when I work out in the am, I like my coffee after my work out. So I've been buying it. Some days I just don't want to spend the $3.62, and some days I don't want to wait in line and some days, like today, I don't have time to step out and get it after I've gotten ready (I shower and dress in the office so once I'm in, I have to make a special trip out to get coffee)
We don't have a coffee pot at work anymore, 3 weeks ago it got left uncleaned and then someone threw it out instead of cleaning it. We now share office space with about 12 other "random" people i don't really know and although I have no real problem sharing, I don't want to support the office coffee habit. When I have made coffee, I make enough for 4 cups, I have one cup and come back for a refill and it's gone. I think I know who drinks it but don't feel confortable confronting them about it. Today, I had to buy gift certificates for a seminar tomorrow. With the GC purchase I got a free box of donuts. I dropped them off in the common area of our office, went to the bathroom and to fill my water bottle and came back and the vultures had eaten all of the "good" donuts. I intended to share, but they didn't even give me a chance to tell them I had donuts to share. Mind you I don't even know the names of these people.
So I want to buy a Kuerig to make individual cups of coffee at work. I don't want to share though. We have not established rules for cleaning the common area, or for sharing common treats. I could potential buy the pods and keep them in my office but because of the lack of respect shown for other peoples property thus far, I don't even really want "them" to use it.
So should I put it in my office and be "that girl" that doesn't share? Or just not do anything at all so i don't have to deal? Then I have to pay 500 times as much a year for coffee than necessary because I'll be buying every day.
Side note I used to give greif to my co workers that I'm the only one who fills the sweet jar. It was kinda a joke, they'd get mad at me for something and I'd say fine buy your own snickers, and we'd all laugh and make up. But now, everyone that walks through here eats the candy so I'm even less likely to purchase treats. SHould I just pay it forward and continue to support the afternoon sugar fix? I thought about putting out a jar that says "donations", but is that tacky?
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sharing can be a tricky thing especially with people you don't really know. The donuts are a given that if put in what is considered a commons area-the best ones will fly out of the box. There must be a pre-conceived agreement that food is for sharing. The Keuring seems like it should be a natural 'on your desk' and then yes indeed- you can be 'that' girl. It is tough to figure our these office issues-seems someone is always left holding the bag. I've know people who hide their candy in their desk drawers...sometimes they share. Coffee (caffeine) headaches are the worst.
Post a Comment