Friday, February 27, 2009

Allow me to get on my soap box for a moment

(Caveat: I am fully prepared to eat any of these words at any time in the future. Please don't feel obligated to read or to agree with anything I say. I'm writing this because things have been so negative lately, I'm looking for a way to remain positive daily)
Recently I have been having some great conversations with my mother about all that is going on in this economy and how we are doing. Although I know she doesn't always agree with what I say she does a great job of listening without passing judgement and I appreciate that. Something I heard on NPR this morning on my way to work is further fuel to the feelings I've been having lately so I'd like to share. As I see it, there are 2 major issues going on that really are starting to bother me. The first is mostly thanks to my generation, those born with in 10 years either side of me. Thanks in part to our parents and our parents parents, we were raised with unending prosperity. This is through hard work of previous generations to provide their kin with a greater standard of living than they had. BUT, where did this get us? We expect an annual salary increase, and a bonus with which we will take our family to Disney World, remodel the kitchen, do something we normally wouldn't do. These things have become a part of our lifestyle and we've become dependent upon them. I don't mean to generalize or criticize for this because I'm sure we've done the same thing with tax refunds/bonus/raises. For many Americans their house has also been a resources for trips to Disney World, new cars, new boats. I think of a woman I used to work with who bought her house for $32,000 in 1985. Her original mortgage was well paid off and her home value had increased 4 times over. Yearly she took out a home equity loan and I'm sure is one of the millions of Americans that now has a situation where she owes more than it's worth. I'm also reminded of a current client who took a pay cut due to the economy. I was recently asking her how she's doing and she was whining that she had to let go the Gardener, and the house cleaner just to make ends meet. I hope and pray that if Evan and I ever get to that point in our lives, we will realize those things are a luxury, and not an entitlement and "having to let go the Gardner" would be a decision we made to adjust our standard of living, not a strain on our lively hood. Prosperity and spending lead to growth of our economy. People wanting more, doing more, spending more, business do well because they can sell, and the Government is receiving tax income so they are spending more. Things are running along fine and everyone goes about their business. Then something upsets the apple cart (OK in this situation it's more like an oil tanker) and everyone starts to pitty themselves and think about how they can best save look out for their own best interest. I'm always so encouraged when I hear of companies decided the entire staff will take a pay cut instead of let a few pink slips out. Or companies who have decided to do what's best for the local economy instead of saving a few key employees bonus potential. Everyday I am asked how I feel about the Government bailing out 10% of home owners who put themselves in a situation and now expect to be saved for bad decisions THEY made. What I like to call the "what's in it for me" mentality. So here is how I respond: a) The Government is making up for past sins, in my opinion. In my industry I have to be licensed, and sit through 20 hours a year of continuing education to make sure I don't unethically or incorrectly advise an individual. But a criminal could get a job as a mortgage broker. Mortgages were written for anyone who could fog a mirror, credit was so easy and lending was so loose , what did we think was going to happen? The lack of government involvement and oversight into home lending practices is, again in my opinion, part of what got us here. b) I take great pride in living in a country where if I needed help, I could get it. I KNOW that I have been given help in some way in my past that I did not deserve. I KNOW that I have taken advantage of a situation to my own benefit and I KNOW that God wants me to do unto others, to have compassion, and to show mercy. It's a little preachy I know but what if at any time I needed the help of my government, my family, my friends, I would hope they would not say, too bad you made a bad decision, suck it up. (plus if you read the bail out package it's not "free money" there are stipulations to it and you have to pass certain tests to even qualify). and c) probably most importantly, I firmly believe that the only way to get our selves out of this situation is to stabilize the housing market. We can't do that with out helping "troubled home owners". if for no other reason than some day you may want to sell your own home or purchase another one, this program is designed with the best interest of the American people in mind. (again this is my own opinion please feel free to disagree). To all of these points I'm not naive enough to think this solution is the "best" or the "right" solution. But I'm not going to complain about it and I'm not going to whine that I'm not getting anything out of it. I'm instead going to be grateful that we aren't one of the families in dire straights right now. The second issue as I see it: We are all so wrapped up in our own world and how horrible things are here, we don't realize we live in a global economy. I feel a lot better about our situation when I hear that the country of Mexico is worried about the entire country imploding. The unemployment rate in Ireland is almost 20%, and the housing market in Spain is even worse than in the US: The banks own 30% of the homes at are on the market. People aren't killing each other in the street for food, there are no civil wars, and our children are safe walking to and from school. They continue to get a top notch education with class rooms of reasonable size and we have complete free will to spend our money, our time, our lives as we choose. And if we do make bad decisions, we can learn from our lessons (hopefully) and move on with the support of our loved ones. There are good things coming out of these economic down turn. The one I think of most immediately, people in my neighborhood now drive much more slowly and safely (including me, I will be doing my part to boost the economy of the city of Bellevue thanks to a friendly officer pointing out I was driving too fast) because the police camp out daily writing tickets to generate revenue. The mommie and me reading time at the library is waiting list every week now because so many families are looking for cheap/free ways to entertain their children. More support for the libraries. Most Americans are re evaluating their needs and making adjustments to their lifestyle. That is just my take on what I can do, change my attitude, to keep myself sane and sleep a little bit better. So far it's working OK. I just have to remind myself these things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!