Friday, May 11, 2007

2 things I'm going to teach my children

You are not above anything, you are not too good for anything. Especialy if you have a job, which you are paid to do, it is not your authority to say "but it's borning". Maybe this is also known as respect? You can control your own situation. If you are not happy with the state of things, and it is within your control, change it. I've got about 3 things to finish before I head home for the day (Evan is already there, boo) but have to explain where I'm coming from here. We have a rather large and un-exciting paperwork project that we have been working on for months now. We receive weekly updates on where things are and Jackie and I chug along, do our part and assume all is being done by the other parties to complete the process. Although this process is boring it is quit necessary as it effects the payment (or lack their of in this case) of our comissions which is how we all get paid. Now I get my paycheck regardless, as well as the rest of the staff, but someday I can only assume it will stop if we don't continue to receive the commission payments. Wouldn't this be higher up on your list of priorities? Today Paul offers us $100 per set of paperwork that we get returned or problem paperwork resolved. Not a management decision I would have made considering that this is OUR JOB to do this and we should be doing it no matter what but I get a few in and one of my co-workers COMPLAINS TO PAUL that I got (earned) $300 and she didn't get (earn) any yet. "How is that fair" I think was her direct quote. I objected to the payment in the first place that I do not feel I earned this money doing what I was already paid to do, but that is neither here nor there. Paul asked me to "throw her a bone" and give her half. Why? Because she's grumpy. I'll tell you the incentive was put into place so that she would see the importance of this and start to work harder at it, but instead she complains that it's not fair. Seems DARN fair to me. So let me get this straight: If i come into work grumpy and complain about how boring my job is and that I don't want to do it so someone else does it for me, I get to share in the extra money they earn by doing my job for me? Sign me up! I decide to throw her a bone and I give her a list of clients she can call (something she should have been doing from day 1) as well as instructions for where to get the information she needed (something else she should have known) and told her to start there. Low and behold, 2 hours later she'd caught up to me. Imagine that! When I said "see how easy it is, just keep going" her response was "it's so boring and i'm so sick of paperwork". Wah. I want to know how these people are raised that they decide that the rules (or their job description) don't apply to them. That they get to call all of the shots and decide which tasks they do and don't want to participate in and only do the desirable ones. Now that I think about it, I don't really enjoy paying taxes, stopping at red lights, or yeilding for crosswalk traffic so I'm going to stop doing it. I have a hard enough time asking my boss to hook me up with special friends and family hotel rates he gets at a local hotel from one of his clients, let alone asking the same co-worker for $3 every other thursday (the thursday opposit pay day ironicly) and never paying it back. Evan says it's shame. I guess I have some, and that's good right? I'm sure the reason she keeps asking me for money is because I keep giving it to her. And I'm sure if I said no she'd ask someone else and still eat out instead of bringing her own lunch. So lesson #3 I'm going to teach my children: Don't be walked on or taken advantage of by people who aren't resepctful enough to know not to take advantage of you. Here's the final peice of straw: Paul told her that he asked me to share with her and she said, I'm sure she won't she's got that baby thing goin on and she won't be willing to share anything.

No comments: