Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Opportunities

In the spring I was as assistant coach for the St. Louis chapter of Girls on the Run. It ended up being a fabulous opportunity for me, I learned so much, got to meet some great girls, and developed some wonderful relationships. I recommend this organization to anyone looking for something to fill their time or just to be a part of. One of my girls was Mary Zuccarello, whose mother Callaway was around a lot for practices. Callaway and I still meet 2 days a week to run, talk and enjoy the experience of being outside. We talk about work, family, friends and life. I admire her so much and really am going to miss these morning jogs. She is a mother of 2 who has managed to develop a successful career while raising her children and being there for them as her first priority. She has such great experiences and great information to share with me. I am really going to miss her.
Cally Schneider was another one of my girls who also moved to Seattle about 2 weeks ago. I met Cally's family at the end of the season picnic and immediate took a liking to them. Recently I have been talking to Molly Schneider, Cally's mother, via email and we are very much looking forward to getting out there and getting to know their family more. Molly immediately took us under her wing, offering holiday dinners, family environment and support in what ever way we need it. Molly said this week that she is feeling cut off from her "community" she spent so long developing in St. Louis so she is anxious to have us arrive for familiarity of common experiences and being transplants at the same time from the same location. I know that the Schneiders will be a great network for us out in Seattle and am so thankful for them. I almost forgot to mention, Mr. Schneider is VP of mortgage lending for Washington Mutual. They have a beautiful home overlooking the sound. We will soon become their favorite house sitters, our first opportunity being labor day weekend. A small apartment at a yet-to-be-determined location or a beautiful home over looking the sound, fully furnished top of the line? I think the question answers it's self.
In other news, I've been doing a bit of research lately on things that can keep us busy. Currently on the plate: A hockey league for Evan, Agility training a dog park and a day care for Case, and a running club for me. We are also going to take sailing lessons. I found out that there are plenty of places for agility, a couple of doggie spas that meat our requirements and more than 10 off leash dog parks in the Seattle area. The hockey situation does not look to promising unless Evan switches to ice hockey, which is a possibility. Apparently roller hockey leagues virtually do not exist out there. Is that possible? I will need to find a more permanent location before finding a running club. There are lots and I'm not crazy about driving all over town when there is probably one just down the road. And for sailing, there are more opportunities than any of the other activities we are interested in (surprised?)
I talked to Jackie from Clear Point yesterday (possibly my future employer) and they are not enjoying the heat. She said "we're having a heat wave here too and it's awful. It was 85 yesterday". It's all relative I'm sure. When no one has AC, 85 probably feels like and oven. I just hope I don't loose my ability to brave both extremely hot and extremely cold weather after getting used to highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's!
Here's to great opportunities to meet even more great people and do even more great things in Seattle!

No comments: